BIRTHDAY WEEK AND BEYOND
In the run up and around what would have been Dylan’s 100th birthday, there’s so much happening we thought we’d give you a quick link guide: Festivals, Events and Exhibitions, TV & Radio…….UK & international (in order of start date)
3 Oct-30 Nov In My Craft or Sullen Art, The Hours, Brecon
11th Oct-30th Nov Placing Dylan exhibition by Ceri Thomas, Swansea ( & look out for Ceri on BBC Wales today on Friday 24th evening talking about the exhibition)
17th-28th Oct The Beginning, Dylan Thomas Birthplace, Swansea
22nd Oct Under Milk Wood, Bibioteca Nacional de Espana, Madrid
20th-26th Oct Dylan Thomas in Fitzrovia, London
25th Oct A Dylan Thomas Tea, Carmarthen
24th-26th Oct Do Not Go Gentle Festival, Swansea
25th-30th Oct My Friend Dylan Thomas, Bangor
25th Oct Oct Under Milk Wood Guilford, Vermont‘s celebration of Dylan Thomas.
25th-26th Oct Dylan Thomas:Return Journey at Rose Theatre, Kingston
26th Oct Dylan Thomas Centenary Gala, Southbank Centre, London
26th Oct Dylan’s Centenary Supper, London
26th Oct Under Milk Wood- Live radio braodcast (from New York) on BBC Wales
26th Oct A Night of Poetry at the Bowery Club, New York
Oct 26th Poetry Reading and Open Mic, The Wheatsheaf, London
Oct 26th Dylan Thomas Centenary Pub Night Chicago
26th-27th Oct The Dylathon, Swansea
26th Oct – 4th Dec- Dylan Thomas Centennial Exhibition at the 92Y, New York
27th Oct The Green Fuse, Mansfield Street, London
27th Oct – A Celebration of Dylan Thomas, Portland, Oregon
29th Oct-1st Nov Bedazzled, Cardiff
27th Oct – “Love the Words’ exhibition opens at Dylan Thomas Centre, Swansea
27th Oct-9th Nov The Dylan Thomas Festival Swansea
27th Oct Cerys Matthews’ new recording A Child’s Christmas, Poems and Tiger Eggs is released
30th Oct – Dylan Thomas a Literary Life, Sydney University
30th Oct- 8th Nov A Childs Christmas in Wales, Grand Theatre, Swansea
31st Oct -Life and Legacy of Dylan Thomas, New York
Oct – 4th Dec – “Dylan”exhibition continues at National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth
1st Nov – “Off The Shelf” Sheffield
2nd Nov – Anthony Richards’ exhibition opens at Dylan Thomas’ Boathouse, Laugharne
6th Nov-The Dylan Thomas Prize winner is announced in Swansea – more info & the shortlist
7th Nov- Set Fire to the Stars (Elijah Wood and Celyn Jones) movie opens in the UK – watch the trailer here
9th Nov – Reading Poetry Festival Centenary reading & discussion at 3pm, Reading
11th Nov – Hampstead Arts Festival Hampstead
21st Nov -The Colour of Saying, a public lecture, Unitarian Church, St Stephen’s Green Dublin
5th-6th Dec – I am Dylan Thomas (original new play written and performed by young people in Swansea), YMCA, Kingsway Swansea
· Friday, October 24, BBC One Wales, 7.30pm: Weatherman Walking – another opportunity to follow Derek Brockway as he visits Dylan Thomas’s home town of Swansea and the countryside that inspired him
· Saturday, October 25, BBC Two, 9.45pm: A Poet in New York – an extended version of the drama with Tom Hollander portraying the last days of a great poet.
· Sunday, October 26, BBC Two Wales, 10pm: a new edition of Great Welsh Writers looks at Vernon Watkins – a close friend of Dylan’s.
· Monday, October 27, BBC One Wales, 10.35pm: Welsh Greats – another opportunity to view the edition about Dylan Thomas, and, at 11.20pm The Hunchback in the Park – broadcast premiere of the short animated film of Dylan’s poem.
BBC Radio Wales:
· Monday-Friday, October 20-24, 10pm: 21st Century Dylan: Short Plays from New Voices – five stand-alone, highly original and wildly different 15-minute radio dramas by first-time radio writers (with an omnibus edition on Sunday, October 26, 3.40pm)
· Sunday, October 26: coverage of Dylathon during the Roy Noble and Jamie Owen programmes, followed by coverage of Under Milk Wood from New York in Backstage from New York at 6pm, Live from 92Y in New York at 7pm, and After The Show at 8.30pm
BBC Radio Cymru
– Monday 10 am October 27th – Dan y Wenallt. The cast of the Welsh language TV soap Pobol y Cwm will perform a production of Dan y Wenallt, T James Jones’s new Welsh language adaptation of the famous radio play Under Milk Wood, to mark the centenary of the birth of Dylan Thomas. The special production will be broadcast from 10am on Monday, October 27 on BBC Radio Cymru exactly a hundred years after Dylan Thomas’s birth, and the event is also part of Pobol y Cwm’s 40th birthday celebrations this year.
BBC Radio Four
– Saturday 8.00pm 25th Oct Cerys Goes Under Milk Wood
Cerys Matthews unlocks an archive of rare interviews, made by her uncle Colin Edwards, with Dylan Thomas’s closest friends and family. The recordings date from the early 1960s, a decade after the poet’s death, when his reputation was becoming clouded by scandal. This personal journey into the archive is both a celebration of the life of Dylan Thomas and a glimpse into the life of her uncle – ‘an eccentric, radical journalist and film-maker’. Here Cerys goes Under Milk Wood – into the communities in which Dylan Thomas lived.
– Sunday 4.30pm 26th October Cold War Poet
Within a year of his death, Dylan Thomas exploded into occupied West Germany with his popular radio play Under Milk Wood. By the end of the 80s, his poetry had firmly established his reputation on the other side of the Berlin Wall, in Communist East Germany. In this programme produced by Gareth Jones marking the Welsh poet’s centenary, former Berlin correspondent Stephen Evans explores how Dylan Thomas became a cultural export for the British during the Cold War, and how his work helped sustain a generation of East Germans struggling with a totalitarian state trying to control what they read, wrote and thought.